Saturday, January 17, 2009

One lonely follicle...

That's what I got. After 300 IU Follistim 2x per day and 75 IU Menopur 2x day i got one little follie.
I was so nervous going to the RE for my ultrasound today. I knew it was bad after my visit on Wednesday, so I really was not very hopeful. The ultrasound was very quick - I got my hopes up when I saw him marking a spot on the slide, but then I sat up and he said "you only have one follicle and we need three or four, I'm sorry, we are canceling the cycle."
I asked him what my options were and he said egg donation. I asked him about embryo donation and he said he would have to check to see if they had any?!!!!
Then I went into the consult room and Susan was waiting for me and we talked to the nurse who was quite sweet. We talked a little about our options- Susan asked some questions, we left. We are going to think on it and maybe schedule a consult in a week or two. Maybe find another RE. Do some research and thinking. Talk to the money gods!
The nurse said we would be getting a call from their psychologist. I really don't need to talk to a psychologist - I have a therapist, and Susan and I can talk about it together.
When we got home from our travels today there was already a message on our machine from the shrink. I didn't listen to it yet.
the rest of the day has been incredibly social - no time to sit and think or wallow in it.
I know this is an uninspired post, but I guess there is a good reason not to be inspired right now.
more later:)

9 comments:

KM said...

I am so sorry :(. Words aren't available to make this feel any better, though I wish there were. ((((hugs)))) We are keeping you in our thoughts and wish you the best in whatever route you decide to take.

Kristen said...

Oh I'm so sorry. Have you checked out Rae's blog? She used donor eggs to get pg. She might be a good source of info and support.

hugs to you

Anonymous said...

at the risk of repeating the same comments i left over on NBBC, i'll just say how very sorry i am you are having to deal with this crap.

kinda adds insult to injury to be told you need to speak to their psychologist!

hope you and S (and a new RE, perhaps) can come up with a good plan for moving forward and getting to BFP-ville quickly.

Mommy and Mamita said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I know you had your hopes really riding on this IVF cycle. I have some recommendations for you -- I will post more on NBBC.

tireegal68 said...

thanks everyone!
I really appreciate the support and the ideas - Mommy and Mamita - will you post the ideas on NBBC in the BBBB section or you could email me.
I am definitely going to get a second opinion, have DP get more involved in being assertive and finding out information.
I think the RE really let me down - didn't offer any explanation about the protocols, etc etc - just told me my eggs were useless and I should use donor eggs.
I need to find a new RE - at least to just look at the info and see if anything was missed.
more later:)

Lisa said...

Coki Beach is in St. Thomas. It's truly a beautiful beach.

gl's mama said...

So sad to hear about your experience. I cannot believe how incredibly hard the process can be. The whole psychologist thing is probably because of a guideline set by the ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine) but is sound like the whole thing could have been handled in a much better way.

I will be keeping you both in my thoughts. xo

gl's mama said...

So sorry to hear about your experience. The whole psychologist thing is probably because of an ASRM (American Society of Reproductive Medicine) guideline but it sound like it was handled poorly.

We will keep you both in our thoughts- S, B, and G

tireegal68 said...

thanks S, B and G!
Hope is floating a little higher today:)